Newport towels are 100% organic Turkish cotton, dyed but never bleached so it’s super soft, has a high thread count per inch and nice color saturation. Hand loomed with an ecru background.
Used for centuries in Turkish hamams, or baths, the pestemal (pesh-te-mahl) is the original “Turkish Bath Towel”. They are a soft and smooth, flat woven cloth, made by hand, usually from cotton, finished with fringes. The hand or hair towel size is called a peskir (pesh-kir).
These towels are known for their eco-friendly properties:
- Highly absorbent, quick to dry, and will not collect sand
- Lightweight and compact, fold flat, minimizes storage space
- Naturally anti-bacterial – will not acquire a musty odor
- Environmentally friendly – quick to wash and dry, saving energy
- Some of the weaves may need several washings and dryings to reach full absorbency and softness